2017 NFL: Week 9 Opening Line Report
Well how about that? An NFL trade deadline with legit trades going down. Unfortunately, that’s probably the most excitement we’ll have all week because just like last week, this week’s slate isn’t very appealing. Let’s take a look at how the lines are shaking out in the halfway point of the season.
|Matchup||Bookmaker Current||Bookmaker Open||Westgate (10/24)|
|BUF @ NYJ||BUF -3.5||BUF -3.5||BUF -2.5|
|DEN @ PHI||PHI -8||PHI -7.5||PHI -6.5|
|LAR @ NYG||LAR -3.5||LAR -4||LAR -3.5|
|TB @ NO||NO -7||NO -7||NO -6.5|
|CIN @ JAX||JAX -5.5||JAX -3.5||JAX -3|
|ATL @ CAR||CAR -2.5||CAR -1.5||CAR -2|
|IND @ HOU||HOU -13||HOU -13||HOU -10.5|
|BAL @ TEN||N/A||N/A||TEN -4.5|
|ARI @ SF||ARI -1.5||ARI -1||ARI -1|
|WAS @ SEA||SEA -7.5||SEA -7||SEA -6.5|
|KC @ DAL||PK||DAL -1||PK|
|OAK @ MIA||OAK -3||OAK -2.5||OAK -1.5|
|DET @ GB||DET -2.5||DET -2||PK|
– Jacksonville: The Jaguars and their heavy-hitting defense have seen a ton of action in the early going and have already moved from -3.5 to -5.5 at Bookmaker. Though the line has moved two points already, the big test will be whether the line hits -6 or not, seeing as six is a much more critical number than the relative dead zone of four and five.
– Carolina: Bets and dollars on this game are practically split 50/50, but the Panthers have inched closer to -3 since opening. The Falcons ended their losing streak, but in unimpressive fashion against the Jets. They’ve failed to cover in four straight games. If Carolina does indeed hit -3, I expect buyback to instantly hit Atlanta and move the line back down.
Reverse Line Moves
– New York Jets: “Sharp money on the Jets!”- said no one ever. But in this case, I ain’t lyin’. The Jets are getting just 27% of bets, but have moved from +3.5 to +3 at many books. At Bookmaker, they remain at +3.5, but at a juiced up -120.
– New York Giants: Ah, both New York teams. Both are home dogs to teams with preseason win totals less than seven…
Not good if you’re a fan of the G-Men, but fortunately, the line is headed in their favor. Despite 23% of bets, the line has moved from +4 to +3.5 (-117.)
– There was gosh darned San Francisco gold rush last night, as bettors pounced on the 49ers +2.5 after the Jimmy Garoppolo trade went down. Alas, he’s most likely not going to start…I guess those folks are stuck with CJ Beathard instead! Then again, I guess the Cardinals have Drew Stanton going…some game this oughta be. At Pinnacle, the line went from ARI -2.5 to a PK and back to ARI -2.5 again.
– The total in the Rams/Giants game has already fallen from 43.5 to 41.5. Last week, early sharp action on the Houston/Seattle over caused the line to move from 43 to 46. That turned out to be right on the money with the two teams combining to score 79 points. Perhaps this Giants game will end in a 0-0 tie.
- 77% on Rams -3.5 at NYG
- 75% on Eagles -8 vs. DEN
- 74% on Seahawks -7.5 vs. WAS