Thursday was quite a start to March Madness as the 5 most popular bets all failed to cover the spread and 3 lost outright:
Most popular 1st round ATS bets right now: 1. Notre Dame 2. North Carolina 3. E. Washington 4. Texas 5. Baylor
SportsInsights.com (@SportsInsights) March 19, 2015
– 3-seeds historically have been the most profitable seed to bet on ATS, but yesterday they went 0-3 ATS (ND, Baylor, Iowa St). – Notre Dame avoided the upset bid by Northeastern but Baylor and Iowa State were not as lucky. Baylor’s opponent, Georgia State, was even missing one of their best players as guard Ryan Harrow was out with a hamstring issue. Their improbable victory led to this gem of a vine:
Georgia State pulls the upset with this shot from another area code. http://t.co/aK9sCdaP9X
— Covers (@Covers) March 19, 2015
That win was big but the largest payout went to UAB over Iowa State:
#UAB closed at +991 on the moneyline. This was the second largest ML upset in the NCAA Tourney since 2005 (Norfolk over Mizzou in 2012).
— SportsInsights.com (@SportsInsights) March 19, 2015
– According to David Purdum, the largest UAB moneyline ticket at William Hill was $300 on 9:1 odds, netting a $2,700 payday. – Biggest Live, In-Game comebacks on Thursday (odds via 5Dimes): UAB +2500 early in the 1st half Georgia State +2500 down 10 in the 2nd half UCLA +650 in the 2nd half NC State +1000 in the 2nd half Cincy +650 in the 2nd half – Thursday’s records by Conference:
Thursday records by conference: Big East 4-0 Pac-12, ACC 3-0 CUSA, Sun Belt 1-0 AAC, Big Ten 1-1 SEC 2-2 Big 12 0-3 All others 0-1 — Bet Labs Software (@Bet_Labs) March 20, 2015
– Some additional news and notes on Thursday’s games:
NCAA Thursday trends: – 5 games decided by 1 point – Underdogs went 12-4 ATS – Teams getting less than 50% of bets went 13-3 ATS
— SportsInsights.com (@SportsInsights) March 20, 2015
– Sportsbooks had a great day on the whole:
Bloody Thursday for bettors: Sports book just told me, "I don't think we lost one decision on the sides yesterday" in NCAA tournament.
— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) March 20, 2015
Jay Rood VP of Race/Sports for MGM resorts told us Day 1 of NCAA Tournament was 2nd most profitable day outside Super Bowl for ‘book. Unreal — Brad Evans (@YahooNoise) March 20, 2015
Our Best Bets went 10-2 ATS to begin March Madness and are now up nearly +15 units on the season. You can get all our picks for all sports with a 4-day trial or monthly membership.
You can also view all the latest odds, trends, injuries and more at our Free Live Odds page.
Latest posts by Dan McGuire (see all)
- 2016-17 College Basketball Conference Tournament Odds - February 27, 2017
- 2017 MLS Cup Odds - February 26, 2017
- 2016-17 Premier League: Week 26 Betting Preview - February 24, 2017