2017 NFL Draft: Round 1 Betting Recap
Round 1 of the 2017 NFL Draft was pretty exciting, with a slew of QBs, RBs, and WRs taken early on. At #1 overall, the Browns stuck with Myles Garrett but the Bears pulled off a shocker to trade up from #3 to #2 to take QB Mitchell Trubisky. Here are some notables from the opening night of the 2017 NFL Draft (closing odds via BetOnline):
QBs: 3.5 (u-225) Went Under with 3 taken (Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson)
RBs: 2.5 (o-735) Went Under with 2 taken (Fournette, McCaffrey)
WRs: 2.5 (o-280) Went Over with 3 taken (Davis, Williams, Ross)
SEC: 10.5 (o-325) Went Over with 12 taken
Pac-12: 7 (u-240) Pushed with 7 taken
Bama: 4.5 (o-280) Went Under with 4 taken
LSU: 2.5 (o-155) Went Over with 3 taken
Ohio St: 3 (u-625) Pushed with 3 taken
- BetOnline’s biggest win was UNDER 2.5 RBs taken in the 1st round at +375. Surprisingly bettors had no problem laying the juice on Over 2.5, and it was looking good after Fournette and McCaffrey went by the 8th pick. However, no team wanted Dalvin Cook so the Under 2.5 cashed.
- William Hill’s biggest loss was UNDER 3.5 QBs taken in the 1st round at -210. They took an $8,400 bet on the Under at -210 which easily cashed.
- Stanford DE Solomon Thomas went #3 overall to San Francisco. He was available at +450 to go #3 right before the draft.
- #4 went according to plan with RB Leonard Fournette taken by the Jaguars. He was -175 to go #4 overall.
- Jets selected LSU S Jamal Adams #6 overall. Adams was available at +550 to go #6 right before the draft.
- Christian McCaffrey was -180 to be selected by the 8th pick overall, and went #8 to the Panthers.
- The Titans surprised some people taking WR Corey Davis #5 overall. He was +600 earlier in the day to be the first WR selected.
- WR Mike Williams went #7 overall to the Chargers. He was expected to be the first WR drafted but the Titans liked Davis more.
- With WR Jon Ross going #9 to the Bengals, Over 2.5 WRs taken in the 1st round easily cashed.
- The Chiefs traded up to #10 with Buffalo to take QB Patrick Mahomes. He was the 2nd QB taken after Trubisky went #2.
- Deshaun Watson’s O/U draft position was 12.5 and he went #12 to the Texans after trading with Cleveland. He was the third and final QB taken in the 1st round.
- There were 19 defensive players taken and 13 offensive players taken. Before the draft, the “spread” on defensive players vs. offensive players was -5, so that cashed.
- The Texans were the only team with significant movement to win the Super Bowl, going from 28:1 to 22:1 at Westgate.
Join us live Sundays at noon ET
We’re now holding our members-only live Sports Betting Hangouts Sunday mornings to prepare you for a full day of NFL games. Members, simply log into your account Sunday morning to access the hangout.
Not a member? Start a trial today to join our Sports Betting Hangouts held six days a week, plus all the other Sportsbook Insider Pro benefits.