- The Sports Investing Index was up +4.1% during June, with most of the marketplace action coming in Major League Baseball (MLB). The Index was actually up in the double-digits at mid-June, but MLB results cooled down a bit near month-end. The NHL marketplace dragged results down a few percentage points during the month, before the hockey season ended.
- With the 4.1% gain during June, the Sports Investing Index has reached a new monthly all-time high.
- With the end of the NHL & NBA seasons, the performance of the Sports Investing Index will be dominated by baseball action — until the football season starts.
The Sports Investing Index continues its upward bias, showing that profits can be earned from sports betting — with a systematic and value-driven approach to investing in the sports marketplace.
Sports Insights publishes a Sports Investing Index to reflect the performance of applying contrarian value approaches to the major US sports marketplaces. The origins of the Sports Investing Index were published in our book, “Sports Investing: Profiting from Point Spreads.”
* Sign Up To Receive Get the Sports Investing Index Monthly Email
Sports Investing Index Details
- The Sports Investing Index is based on Sports Insights Square Plays. (Square Plays are the day’s most lopsided games in terms of the public betting trends)
- Additional indexes and benchmarks may be developed over time.
- Inception: 2003
- Index performance will be published monthly.
- Sports Covered: NFL, College Football, NBA, College Basketball, MLB, NHL
Figure 1: Sports Investing Index (August 2003-June 2011)
Below is recent performance for the Sports Investing Index — along with other financial index benchmarks, including the S&P 500 and long-term US government bonds.
Table 1: Index Performance (2011)
|Sports Investing Index
Other Index Features:
- Investable – Sports Insights Members are able to invest in the index by following Sports Insights Square Plays. Sports Insights generally publishes its Square Plays at least one hour before sporting events.
- Each Square Play will represent a play made while risking 1% (each unit represents 1% at risk, per play).
- Represents a strategy of investing in the US sports marketplace using a contrarian value approach.
- Inherent return — based on research, there appears to be an inherent return in the sports marketplace based on a systematic, contrarian approach to the sports marketplace.
- The Index can be reconstructed by reviewing Sports Insights Square Plays. Media can receive historical monthly performance by contacting us at email@example.com
For Media Only: additional information, statistics, high-resolution screen shots, and interviews available – please Contact Us.
We do not guarantee that the trends and biases we’ve found will continue to exist. It is impossible to predict the future. Any serious academic research in the field of “market efficiencies” recognizes that inefficiencies may disappear over time. Once inefficiencies are discovered, it is only a matter of time before the market corrects itself.